SRF is operational in 34 villages of Aurai blocks covering about 6,000 families and a population of around 50,000 people. The SRF project area is 48 km from the Varanasi. The project area is well known for its internationally popular carpet industry. The serious concerns of the area are problems related to laborers and their families. Occupational health and child labor is big challenge of the area on which the SRF is dealing with. The population of the District Bhadohi is about 1.3 million, with eight persons as an average size of the household. A significant percentage of scheduled caste population (22% of the district population) lives in the district. Only 58% of the total population is literate and 45% females are literate. The sex ratio is 917 females against 1000 males. The child sex ratio in rural area of the district is 912. The child population, between the age group 0-14 is 6,037, while the adult (female and male) population is 1420226. About 45% families live in semi-permanent and temporary houses. The coverage of Government health services is very poor and out of 1,097 villages only 229 have medical facilities. District Hospitals (02), CHC (02), PHC (03), APHC (14), FW/MCH Centres (154), allopathic Hospital (12), Ayurvedic Hospitals (28), Homeopathic Hospitals (08). The infant & child and maternal mortality rate was quite high in this district. The cases of malnourishment among children, adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers were high in the districts. Govt. programs were not implemented properly due to unsupportive behavior of community members and poor duty given by the service provider of the health department. After collecting the overall data of the area SRF worked in the 34 communities of the district to improve the overall health status of the population and to reduce the IMR and MMR. SRF has succeeded in strengthening the VHND and clearing the overall concept of VHND among the community members.
- VHND was limited to immunization process only in the community in the past and community members think it as an immunization day only on which the children get immunized. But now, with continuous effort of our staff VHND process is implemented in 20 communities out of 34 communities in a proper way and community members including our SHGs were made aware about the VHND program that it for ensuring our good health and nutrition.
- Health festival on the occasion of World Health Day at PHC of Aurai was successfully organized in which award of best couple AWW, ANM & ASHA was given for their best practices and initiatives as per the indicator. Award giving process becomes a motivating factor for the other AWW, ANM and ASHA and they are giving their best to the assigned work according to the helath indicators/indicators set by health department.
- 64 adolescent girls i.e. 2 leaders each from adolescent girls group of all 34 communities after getting training on “Adolescent Health specifically menstrual hygiene” were practicing hygienic practices and motivating other girls of the group to practice hygienic practices during menstruation .
- An Orientation program of eligible couple on family planning methods in the 7 out of 34 communities was conducted on pilot basis, so that we can successfully conduct this program in other communities also. The participated coupes were very much influenced and not only they are practicing different methods of family planning to control their family size but motivating others couples.
- In our project area it was seen that most of the children were indulging in tobacco consumption. But after the puppet shows about the ill effect of tobacco consumption, community members giving up this behavior of taking tobacco by knowing its harmful effects and giving full attention on their children and told them not to use tobacco.
- In the rural community there is a trend that Mothers in law understands them superior and did not pay much attention to their daughter in laws even during pregnancy. But after attending training on mapping available health services, they became very much aware about the care taken during pregnancy. Now, they share with other women also to take care of their daughter in laws during the time of pregnancy. Now, whenever they notice any unusual symptom during pregnancy, they immediately contact their ASHA or any health worker easily available to them and discussed about their daughter in laws.